Shrimp and Grits with Green Tomato Chutney and Chorizo Oil
1 cup canola oil
3 ounces Spanish (dried) chorizo, diced
1. Combine oil and chorizo in a small saucepan over medium heat. Heat just until chorizo begins to bubble. Cover and set aside for 1 hour, or until oil is cool.
2. Remove and discard chorizo from oil before using.
2 cups heavy cream
2 cups chicken stock
1 cup coarse-ground grits
3 tablespoons rendered bacon fat
1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
Coarse salt and freshly ground white pepper, to taste
1. Bring cream and stock to a boil in a large saucepan over high heat. Add grits slowly, whisking vigorously.
2. Cook, whisking frequently, until grits are tender. Stir in bacon fat and goat cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
1 1/2 pounds Royal Red Canaveral shrimp, Rock shrimp, or other medium Florida shrimp, peeled and deveined
Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
3/4 cup fresh corn kernels
Crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
Chopped fresh chives, for garnish
1. Season shrimp with salt and pepper.
2. Heat oil in a large sauté pan until it begins to smoke. Add shrimp, tomatoes, and corn and sauté until shrimp is just firm and opaque.
3. Add red pepper flakes to taste. Finish with chopped chives.
Green Tomato Chutney
Makes about 3 cups
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 small garlic cloves, Microplaned
2 small shallots, finely diced
1 jalapeño, seeded and finely diced
1/2 red bell pepper, finely diced
2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
4 green tomatoes, quartered, cores removed, and finely diced
Coarse salt, to taste
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon Coleman’s dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup white wine vinegar
3 tablespoons sugar
2 sprigs fresh tarragon
2 sprigs fresh thyme
1. Heat canola oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic, shallot, jalapeño, bell pepper, ginger, and spices and sauté until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add green tomatoes and season with salt to taste.
- Put ½ to 1 cup cooked grits in each of 6 bowls. Use a spoon to make an indentation in the middle of the grits to hold the shrimp mixture.
- Spoon shrimp, tomatoes, and corn into the indentation.
- Top with 1 tablespoon of green tomato chutney and finish with a drizzle of chorizo oil.